Last Week in Memphis

February 10, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,
 
 A few things about Memphis....

     It snowed for the first time this winter... I forgot what snow looked like.


     Only in Memphis do people parallel park on their front lawn between 2 trees when their driveway is completely empty.


     I am getting transferred.... I heard to Arkansas. Pretty sad. I have grown to love the people here and they have become my family out here. I have spent about half of my mission in this little branch and I am very sad to leave. But like I promised the Lord when I decided to serve a mission, I will go where the Lord wants me to go.... even if that includes going across the Mississippi river back to Arkansas. Memphis... one of the most interesting places I have ever been to in my life but I absolutely love it! 
 
     The zuccheros are getting sealed in the temple this Friday on Valentines day and I am begging President to let me go especially since Both Hermana and Hermano Zucchero asked me to be at the temple with them. Nothing like seeing your ward mission leader get sealed to his family. It probably would be one of the most amazing experiences to see that. Sooo hopefully President Petersen will say yes. 
 
     I am so sad to be leaving but I am so excited at the same time. I opened the Bartlett area for spanish sisters and I have been here for half my mission. We have found so many amazing people and brought so many less actives back to church. I have met some of the most amazing people here in Memphis/Bartlett and I am very sad to leave but I know I will continue to meet amazing people wherever I get sent. 

     We saw a lot of opposition this week but we didn't let that stop us and we saw a lot of success. We were told by people we are not good missionaries and are unable to help others feel the spirit. This could have been very discouraging but later that week we had a prompting to talk to this lady. She had come outside of the apartment complex and I felt prompted to talk to her and give her a pamphlet. We turned around and I introduced myself and she instantly recognized we were missionaries. She told us how her family was arguing and she was sitting on the steps just not knowing what to do and she felt like she needed to come outside. When she did we talked to her and gave her that pamphlet and it just so happened that her father had jsut recently passed away and we told her exactly what she needed to hear. She chucked her lit cigarette into the bushes which I'm pretty sure could have set it on fire. We prayed with her and she told us she wants us to come back and keep meeting with her. She told us that what we are sharing is exactly what she needs in her life right now. If we let what the person said get to us and thought that we are incapable of helping people feel the spirit we wouldn't have met Kimberly. Obviously we are doing are job and if we were incapable of helping others feel the spirit we wouldn't have had so much success this week. I am not boasting of our abilities as missionaries. It is infact all the Lord's doing, we have effectively become instruments in the Lord's hands and he is putting people in our path.
 
     I KNOW this work is amazing. I have learned this week that when we help people get on that path or do the necessary ordinances for those who can't do it themselves that they will one day be kissing our feet and praising our name. I don't want all that recognition. I will be perfectly content with just knowing that I was an instrument in the Lord's hands in helping them receive that saving ordinance. I KNOW this is the lords work and I am happy to be performing the Lord's work.
 
Love,
 

~Hermana Larissa Johnson