Ice Storm

December 9, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,

     We are definitely making progress in the Bartlett/Memphis area. We are currently teaching two families and we have extended the baptismal invitations to both families. My companion is great. She works hard and has a few struggles but I honestly believe that is why we were put together as companions.... because I had gone through that same thing as her and I had to overcome that and I know that I am put as her companion to help her with that specific problem. 


     This week was incredible. We taught a less active family who everyone had given up on included the members of the branch, the families visiting and home teachers and even the missionaries. When I first met her I never thought in a million years she would come back to church but the lord works miracles. I know I was specifically sent to this area to help get that less active family active again. We went to visit her and she told us how it is hard to work with the missionaries because we always change so often. She only has 1 friend and she can't really confide in the missionaries because we are constantly changing. She has gotten to know me since I have been here in Bartlett and I have gained her trust. We were working with the elders and they are going to baptize her son this Sunday. We decided that we need to activate the entire family and the wife is the person who needs the most work. We went to visit her this week and she opened up to us and told us the reason she hasn't been coming to church and we quickly resolved that problem. We talked with her about having a family home evening and she even said she would like a copy of the ensign and the friend for her children.  I know I have been sent to this area to help her. 

     This week we also taught a referral from one of the members... It is a great day when your investigators offer to feed you dinner. Also we made such a big impression with their daughter she took all the pamphlets, put them in her bag and was walking around trying to share what she had learned with her friends. President I love this family so much and we are doing everything we possibly can to help them progress towards baptism. 

     This week we also taught the Velasco family. We have a baptismal date with the wife and then we started teaching the rest of the family and all 4 children are baptismal age. We are teaching them the last lesson tonight and they want to be baptized. The Lord has definitely led us to these people and in Chris's case the Lord led him to us.... He was Hermana Velascos uncle and he just happened to be at the Velasco's house when we went to teach them. He asked what time church was about 5minutes into the lesson and we knew the Lord had led him to us and is prepared for baptism. He lives in Arlington about an hour away from the church and on Sunday he called us and asked for directions to the church and we had to tell him it was cancelled.... you know someone is prepared by the Lord when they are willing to drive an hour to church in bad weather. Me and Hermana Millington would have had 11 investigators to church this week had it not been cancelled and also we are planning on baptizing all 11 of them before the year ends.
     
     This week we also met an 90 year old Bellevue Baptist... she was really sweet and kept telling us she loves us and gave us I don't know how many hugs. The day got better and better when we went to the gas station to fill up our car and this guy pulls up next to us and asks if me and Hermana Millington are twins, I tell him no and he responds by saying we both are gorgeous. I tell him thanks and then he asks if we are AMISH. WHAT THE.... ??? First of all, I don't think Amish would be driving in a car, or at the gas station, and I did not look like an amish person in the slightest bit... I guess that is what we get for dressing modestly. So this week was also pretty interesting. Hermana Millington told me I started to sleep talk in Spanish. Pretty cool. 

     This week there was an ice storm and supposedly it was supposed to be really bad but Memphis didn't get much of it. The ice storm was the coolest, we went outside and the trees were completely frosted over and on most christmas decoartions they look shiny and sparkly and that is literally what all the trees looked like here... it was so picturesque. When we were stuck inside most of the day on Friday I decided that we should read the book of mormon in spanish. I had never read the whole book of mormon in one day and President Hinckley promised that if you read the entire book in your mission langauge you will know the language by the time you are finished. We didn't get very far because there is a lot of words we didn't know and had to look up but Hermana Millington's pronunciation has improved a whole lot... we got to the point where we are able to almost completely understand what each verse means.

     This week has been incredible and we have seen so many miracles. The Lord has definitely blessed us.  I have prayed harder than I have ever prayed in my life and it was amazing to see how everything that I prayed for happened this week. When we are doing what the Lord wants us to do and trust in him that it will be given to us, God is bound and we are automatically given those things we asked for. When we do what the Lord asks the Lord provides and anything we ask for, if it be right WILL be given to us.

Love,

~Hermana Larissa Johnson